Sandwich Materials for Lightweight Applications in Automotive, Aviation and Biomedicine
Date & Location: April 23 / Iran University of Science & Technology, Tehran
Prof. Heinz Palkowski
Professor in Metal Forming and Processing, Clausthal University of Technology
Prof. Dr. Ing. Heinz Palkowski, born in Lippstadt, Germany, studied Metallurgy/Metal Forming at Clausthal University of Technology, earning his Dipl.-Ing. in 1978, there and his Doctor degree in 1984, too. Afterwards, he went to industry for 17 years covering different positions in areas of special section production, gliding bearings processing and finally senior manager of hot rolling of wide steel strip, before occupying the Chair of Metal Forming and Processing at the Institute of Metallurgy, TU Clausthal, in 2000. Additionally, he is Director of the Institute of Metallurgy.
His current research interests include the physics of ferrous alloys and light metals as well as hybrids, materials micro and macro analysis, processing of such materials, and simulation of processes and materials. His current research project portfolio covers the following areas:
– Development of new metal materials, such as bainitic steels and ADI-materials, MMC-reinforced Al alloys, sheet casting and rolling of Mg alloys
– Local reinforcement of metals
– Development of hybrid materials, especially metal/polymer sandwich materials with applications for automotive, aviation, and biomedical fields
– Improving the processing of precision tubes
– Modelling and simulation of forming processes (FEM) and materials behaviour (multi-scale modelling)
He presented the results of the research of his group as an author or co-author at international conferences and in more than 140 refereed papers.